Bradfield Historical Society
The Society was formed in 1985 as an adult learning class run by Stocksbridge College with around 15 members, meetings being held in the former Low Bradfield Junior & Infant School. In 1986 the Society formed in its own right as a non-profit making organisations with monthly meetings which included a speaker on a topic of general interest and the membership gradually increased to around 30 by 1988. Towards the end of 1988 Sheffield City Council who owned the building advised that it was being put up for sale and we would have to vacate the premises at the end of that year and arrangements were made to hire the village hall for meetings as from March 1989.
During the period 1986 to 1989 the Society published 2 books, Bygones of Bradfield Volume 1 & 2 which mainly contained memories and information from local inhabitants who had a general interest in the area. This proved to be the real beginning of the Society and over 1000 of each copy were sold, the profits being donated to local charities. It was also decided during 1988 that a memorial plaque be sited in memory of those who had perished in the Great Sheffield Flood on March 11th/12th when Dale Dyke Reservoir above Low Bradfield burst resulting in the loss of over 240 lives on the night.
Bradfield Historical Society holds monthly meetings and now specialise in talks and research about the Sheffield Flood of 1864.The Society takes part in other local events held in the area such as Craft Fairs, Galas, Environment events etc. In 1997 a third volume of Bygones of Bradfield was published. This and other books are available through the Society.