Grenoside Reading Room Trust and Old School Charity
This building, the only listed building in Grenoside was originally built as a school, being the second endowed school in Grenoside – the first endowed school, under the trusteeship of the Church Wardens of Ecclesfield, was situated in Lump Lane. The exact date it was built, on land owned by Thomas Walker, is unknown, but the date has been narrowed down to between 1789 and 1791.
In 2006, the trusteeship of the Reading Room passed from the Ecclesfield Parish Council to residents from the village of Grenoside, and attempts are now being made, hopefully with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, to restore the building and to turn it into a Heritage Centre, for the use of all the residents of Grenoside and the surrounding area.
We aim to conserve and restore the historic reading rooms and school in Grenoside. To promote its use as a heritage site, research its history and educate visitors.