Whiston Heritage Society
Whiston is a picturesque village located in South Yorkshire, close to the town Rotherham. It has a number of listed buildings; several of which have a history associated with them. The most significant of these is the Manorial Barn – the only such building of its kind in the north of England. In addition, there are a number of pleasant walks around the village; and many public houses, which provide traditional refreshment.
The Society was formed with the following aims:-
- To document in the form of text and photographs happenings, events and people that have changed life in; and natural appearance of; the village.
- To present the data collected in the form of publications and lectures.
- To research the history of the village to verify the data collected.
- To provide appropriate information and advice to local and national bodies on request.
- To help people worldwide in their search for information of the village.
- To provide a depository for and display of artefacts and documents that have relevance to the village.
- To provide material for local schools and other educational establishments.
- To locate and identify local sites of historical significance.
The Society is open to anyone and new members are always welcome.
We are always pleased to receive stories and photographs relating to the village. All material will be returned to the provider.