Portland Works Online Open Weekend and Cutlery Search
Friday, 21st May 2021 - Monday, 24th May 2021
Why not visit our website page for lots of new and exciting events between 21st to 24th May 21 including:
- An update on the building renovations and the dramatic completion of the building’s famous tall chimney.
- Exhibition of previously unseen images of the works – a look back at our last May Open Day 2019
- Link to work produced by University of Sheffield Architecture students based on their studies here at the Works
- Mini lecture series – a selection of short talks about Sheffield history and personalities. Available to view at any time – all free
- News from our tenant artists and their exciting new Art Workshops and how to book
We are also really excited to be launching our global cutlery search for items made here at Portland Works.
In 1914, Portland Works (then known as Mosley’s) became the first place to make stainless steel cutlery. Its “Rusnorstain” cutlery became famous, was exported from Sheffield around the world, featured in international trade shows and was probably carried by families emigrating to the New World. It continued to be made at the Works until the 1960s.
Now Portland Works wants to track those pieces and create a map showing their locations and the journey they have made from the “City of Steel”. Visit our webpage to upload pictures of your “Rusnorstain” cutlery and tell us about it.