Hollins Bridge Mill, Rivelin Valley, Sheffield, S6 5GL

Former grinding wheel and water management system

Hollins Bridge Mill and associated water management system are the remains of a water-powered site first used for grinding cutlery, then later also fenders and optical glass. Dating from about 1724 (perhaps before), Hollins Bridge Mill was amongst the earliest of the 20 water-powered mills built in the Rivelin Valley that now form an important part of Sheffield’s industrial heritage. By 1868 it had been converted to a corn mill, and by 1936 was noted as being ‘little used’. Only traces of the buildings survive, but the weir, and remains of the tail goit can still be seen.

The site is owned by Sheffield City Council and there is open access – a public footpath (the Rivelin Nature Trail), passes the site. The Trail can be accessed from various points along Rivelin Valley Road, or from the north (Stannington) side of the valley (Hollins Lane).

A marker post installed at the site by Rivelin Valley Conservation Group gives a brief history and links to a website where further information and pictures can be found.

The site is situated on the west side of the River Rivelin, to the north-west of Sheffield City Centre, at the junction of Hollins Lane and Rivelin Valley Road. The water management system extends to the north-east and south-west of the site of the mill buildings, originally feeding from and into the adjacent river.

Hollins Bridge Mill and associated water management system are part of a sequence of 20 water-powered mills (and 21 mill dams) along a 3½ mile (5.6 km) stretch of the lower Rivelin Valley, possibly the greatest density of mills over that distance in Britain. These sites together help to tell the story of Sheffield’s industrial heritage, and cutlery trade in particular, from its origins in rural workshops with water-powered grindstones. Apart from Uppermost Wheel, the furthest upstream of the 21 sites, remains of all of the others can still be seen and together they form a sequence along the valley that should be preserved in its entirety.