Ruskin House, Bole Hill Road, Walkley, Sheffield, S6 5EE
Site of former St George’s Museum
From 1875 to 1890, the building, now known as Ruskin House, housed St George’s Museum, which was founded in 1875 by the Victorian philanthropist and philosopher, John Ruskin. It is now privately owned and has been extended and converted to apartments.
In this location, John Ruskin found a cottage that commanded extensive views of the Rivelin and Loxley Valleys, which reminded him of Alpine scenery. The museum was packed with an eclectic collection of paintings, sculptures, natural history and geological specimens. The collection out-grew the space and was moved to Meersbrook in 1890, and subsequently to Sheffield city centre, where the Ruskin Gallery (now housed in the Millennium Gallery) is still an important resource for Sheffield. The building that originally housed Ruskin’s museum is an important part of the story of Ruskin’s link with Sheffield and his aim to provide local metal and craft workers with inspiring access to arts and nature.
A plaque, commissioned by The Guild of St George, was installed on Ruskin House in 2015 to commemorate the foundation of St George’s Museum by Ruskin in 1875. The plaque was designed and carved by Richard Watts.
Further information and interactive tour of the Museum can be found at https://www.ruskinatwalkley.org/